Experience working with software teams on a variety of projects ranging from mobile consumer applications to enterprise web applications. Experience leading design teams, presenting to top level executives, and promoting a design first culture.
Sr. UX Designer at PayPal
September 2016 - Present
- Leads the UX design strategy and implementation for all Core Platform Services within PayPal, including the monitoring, experimentation, and notification platforms.
- Works collaboratively with multiple product managers and teams to accomplish a consistent user experience across many enterprise systems.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining a design system that consists of processes, best practices, and a centralized component library that dramatically increases time to value and consistency.
- Conducts weekly customer interviews and research in order to make products more efficient and intuitive.
- Builds fully functional prototypes using HTML, Jekyll, and SAAS.
Freelance Design Consultant
January 2010 - Present
- Experience working with software teams and clients on a variety of projects ranging from mobile consumer applications to enterprise class web applications.
- Established relationships with almost 30 clients over the past seven years.
- Executes projects on time and on budget.
- Experience managing sub contractors, budgets, and client expectations.
- Utilizes innovative ways to communicate, test, and validate design decisions for virtual teams across the country and world.
Senior User Experience Designer at Dell Boomi
August 2015 - September 2016
- Responsible for design vision, research, UX design, visual design, and prototyping at market-leading iPaaS company.
- Interacted with software development teams on a day to day basis to design and build engaging user experiences.
- Utilized an entrepreneurial spirit to drive change and introduced new ways of design thinking to a historically developer centric company.
- Introduced new design techniques to Dell Boomi, such as user testing, personas, and journey maps.
- Responsible for building and maintaining a design organization within Dell Boomi, including the design of a living style guide, design team libraries, and company-wide design discussions.
User Experience Designer at Azavea
April 2014 - August 2015
- Interacted with software development teams on a day to day basis to design and build engaging user experiences for projects that focus on creating more sustainable communities.
- Responsible for research, UX design, visual design, and front-end development including CSS, HTML, jQuery, and Sass.
- Led client projects from concept to final delivery and utilized an iterative design process that allowed for quick feedback and validation from users.
- Led design workshops for user discovery and persona development to enhance the usability of projects.
- Managed design team sprint planning and task delegation.
- Led a bi-weekly company-wide design meeting that introduced the company to new design trends and techniques.
Visual Designer at Evolve Guest Controls
April 2013 - April 2014
- Led the design of the company website from the ground up.
- Led the visual design and collaborated with UX lead and software engineers on two cloud-based applications.
- Researched and created user persona case studies derived from various user skills assessments to ensure an optimal user experience.
- Contributed to the front-end development by utilizing, CSS, HTML, and LESS technologies.
- Led the visual and UX design of an Android tablet application from concept to final delivery.
- Established a design methodology and framework that could be executed on a 4”, 7”, and 10” tablet and utilized a common library of views to create a seamless user experience.
Interaction Designer (Contract) at inMusic Brands
October 2012 - March 2013
- Collaborated with product manager and led the design of the ion Sound Blast application (iOS) from concept to final delivery.
- Worked directly with development team to ensure seamless transition from concept to execution.
- Conceptualized and executed a complete re-design of the Sonivox website.
- Utilized knowledge of typography, color theory, and design to craft a new brand for a leader in the digital music industry.
Designer (Contract) at 3C
October 2011 - October 2012
- Crafted a brand and web presence that allowed the company to garner respect in a new industry.
- Collaborated with company leadership to define and facilitate necessary marketing materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and proprietary company technologies to craft products that led to contracts with Virginia Tech, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Marine Corps.
User Interface Designer (contract) at Sionic Mobile Corporation
February 2011 - August 2011
- Contributed to the design of visual aesthetics, buttons and other UI elements for the Ion Rewards app.
- Designed digital floor plans for the top 40 U.S. airports, including the locations of retail, dining, and services.
- Provided final assets along with geo-location data for hundreds of airport merchants.
Savannah College of Art and Design
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), Architecture
Seminar and workshop on Design Thinking
Founder & Leader of Philly UI UX Meetup
Nov 2014 – Sep 2016
- Organized and led UI UX Meetups ranging from portfolio reviews, tutorials, and hackathon style design challenges.
- Grew the group to over 1000 members.
- Provided mentoring and one on one portfolio reviews for entry level designers.
Transforming Data into Stories: An Introduction to Data Visualization, Eco Camp
- Co-led a workshop on visualizing building energy benchmarking data for the city of Philadelphia.
What’s Next for Philly, Fast Forward Philly
- Designers and planners around the world help shape the future of sustainable communities on a daily basis. We take many factors into account when forming our decisions around designing communities, including geospatial, socio-economic, and environmental conditions. Much of this data is accessible via “open data” policies and platforms such as Open Data Philly, but as designers we need a way to access this data in a format that is easy to use and analyze. This is where open source web applications like OpenTreeMap are born.
- Open Source Applications are the future of Philly. By creating more accessible, open tools like OTM, we can put information in the hands of both citizens and decision makers to create a more vibrant, sustainable Philadelphia.
Honors & Awards
Dell Entrepreneurial Award
- Presented by R&D Manager for showing entrepreneurial spirit and going above and beyond my daily job description.
Dell Gold Award
- Presented by the General Manager of Dell Boomi for taking on responsibilities outside of normal job duties to design, plan, and manage the creation of a new office wing for the research and development teams.
Dell Platinum Award
- Presented by R&D Manager for exceptional work and leadership.
Philly Geek Award Nominee
- I designed the user experience & visual design for the Stormwater Interactive tool for the Philadelphia Water Department. This project was developed by the team at Azavea and nominated for a 2016 Philly Geek Award.